|click to enlarge | www.mapsofpa.com|
|Fort Pitt | www.fortpittblockhouse.com|
These were early battles of what became known as the French and Indian War (1754-1763), so called because Native Americans sided with the French.
The French eventually retreated from Fort Duquesne, burning it to the ground as they left. The English, led by General John Forbes, reclaimed the point and Forbes named the area around it "Pittsburgh," in honor of William Pitt the Elder, the Prime Minister.
Fort Pitt (shown above) was built between 1759-1761.
|Pittsburgh Then and Now | Arthur G. Smith|
|click to enlarge | shutterstock|
Today one can visit Point State Park and walk along inset granite markers that delineate the foundation of Fort Duquesne. Then at the very tip of the triangle is a basin with a 150-foot (46 m) fountain.
|click to enlarge | the course of the Ohio River | en.wikipedia.org|
|Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation|