Sunday, August 2, 2015

Fun Florida Fences

Pinterest  |  source?
I saw this great balustrade design on Pinterest, and it reminded me that I've been collecting my own photographs of cut-out Florida fences. I think I've accumulated enough to share now.

Mark D. Ruffner  |  2015
I pass this fence at least once a week. It's on an old part of St. Pete Beach known as Pass-A-Grille, Florida. The house is pretty neat, too.

Mark D. Ruffner  |  2015
Here's the gate. The fish in Florida are always smiling.

Mark D. Ruffner  |  2015
These fish are swimming in a school.

Mark D. Ruffner  |  2015
The simplest of white picket fences can be transformed by making only three diagonal cuts on each post.

Mark D. Ruffner  |  2015
Likewise, the posts of this elaborate gingerbread fence are simply the letter "Z," slightly modified.

Mark D. Ruffner  |  2015
I spent a weekend in Key West and saw this distinctive fence there. In Key West, one could form a walking tour just around great fences and porch trim.

Mark D. Ruffner  |  2015  
This was my favorite fence in Key West, and one that's often photographed by tourists. Each cutout insect or animal is an individual design.


Mark D. Ruffner  |  2015
Here's a common Key West fence design, though I photographed this particular fence on St. Pete Beach. I'm sure I've missed a few beauties in my area, and if I do find more, I'll add them to this posting.
.

10 comments:

  1. Dear Mark - I like the pineapple finials on the fence in Key West - being a symbol of 'welcome' it seems to be a very appropriate topping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rosemary.

      Ordinarily, I'm not a fan of fences at all, but these have given me enough pleasure to have inspired making a record of cutouts. The fence with the pineapple tops extends for quite a distance and entailed a lot of work, but then, it's practically a landmark.

      Delete
  2. good fences make good neighbors? or at least keeps their dogs from pooping in your lawn ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Human nature is funny. When I moved into my neighborhood, none of the back yards of my neighbors were fenced. I could stand in my back yard and look up the length of the neighborhood, and it looked like a long, rolling park. Then one (1) resident fenced his back yard, and immediately everyone else did. It was as though suddenly everyone had a crushing need to carve out their private domain, and it was both amusing and saddening.

      Delete
  3. Oh what fun! At least these fences look friendly. Do you have a fence around your property Mark?
    Our old country cedar post fences are friendly, the barbed wire , charged with electricity, not so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Gina,

      As I mentioned to Stefan in the comment before your's, I ordinarily don't like fences, but I do have a simple chain-link fence at the back of my property, which abuts a city park. Picnics and games happen behind my house on holidays, and I'm happy to have the fence there at those times. It's covered with vines, which alleviates the chain-link look.

      Delete
  4. Wonderfull fences,
    Greeting from Mons Belgium
    Blog ma ville my city Mons Be http://louisette.eklablog.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Mark, I often notice the elaborate fences in old photos of houses, and am glad to see that the impulse has not dies out entirely. Cast iron fences also often have intriguing details, and even find real interest in barbed wire, although only if it is old enough!
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Jim,

      My understanding is that barbed wire collecting is quite a big hobby, and I have been surprised to see for myself some rather exotic examples. When it comes to fencing, my own preference would be for cast iron. I'm disheartened to see so much plastic — and quickly discolored plastic — today.

      Delete