Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Another Strange Victorian Pastime

As I've mentioned before on this blog, I'm interested in graphology. Because of that, I've collected tomes that often reference the old-fashioned autograph book. In Victorian times, people — including Queen Victoria herself — enjoyed collecting autographs. In the latter part of the 19th century and early part of the 20th century, people also kept pig books, books filled with pigs that had been drawn blindfolded!

It's rather delightful to see the eminent people who tried their hand at drawing pigs blindfolded, and below are just a few. They all came from the same pig book, and are included in The Stein and Day Book of World Autographs, by Ray Rawlins.

Robert, Lord Baden Powell, founder of the Boy Scouts
King Carlos I of Portugal,
Sir Rufus Isaacs, Marquess of Reading, Viceroy of India, Chief Justice
King Gustav VI of Sweden
Sir C. Aubrey Smith, cricket player, actor
I revived the practice at a recent dinner party, and it was great fun! Here's our own collection of pigs:

The gathering enjoyed resurrecting this Victorian pastime, and we all agreed that Judy's had by far the most character.

Since posting, my blogging friend Jim of Road to Parnassus has sent a pig he drew blindfolded. Frankly, I'm jealous of his pigability!
.
.

14 comments:

  1. Hi Mark, What a great idea to draw pigs blindfolded. I tried three times (sent to you in a separate email). Then I drew one eyes-open, which unfortunately wasn't any better--even looking, I couldn't manage to connect the head to the body.

    I seemed to have the same problem as Judy; since we drew the feet separately, we got them too high on the body. Also, reviewing all these examples, you and I were the only ones to indicate the cloven hooves!
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Jim,

      Your own artwork hasn't made it through the ethers yet, but I am looking forward to seeing your attempts. I didn't forget the cloven hooves, but my dinner companions doubted my pig ears!

      Delete
  2. How have I never heard of this -how fun! haha.....I love the lower right hand corner pig - Judy's is about how I imagine my own would look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Stefan,

      Thanks for choosing my pig! The greatest challenge in accomplishing this task is to remember one's starting point, and the more successful pig drawers place a finger at their beginning mark.

      Delete
  3. King Carlos of Portugal must have been a wild boar hunter. He knew his victims well. I agree with all of you, Judy's has just the right amount of personality to make it a pig or a cat. The last image is really my favorite... does it identify "Mark" as the artist?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Gina,

      I think you are quite right about King Carlos; his pig does have the look of a wild boar (and now that I think of it, boars were doubtlessly the only pigs with which he ever came into contact!).

      You have indeed spotted my own pig, and I'm glad he resonates with you!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I haven't a clue, but the pig book that I have cited has entries from 1896 to 1935.

      Delete
  5. Strange and charming parlor game. Like people's pets, these pigs look like their owners! At Christmas, we always play at least a short round of the Minister's Cat.I will have to try this one out, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Gésbi - I've never played the Minister's Cat, but I remember seeing it played in one of the many versions of "A Christmas Carol."

      Delete
  6. Ah, those mad Victorians. :) Love this whole idea, Mark. Never heard of it before. I wonder why pigs? Oh well, who cares? It looks like fun. I always loved C. Aubrey Smith in the movies by the way. He was a 'type', played a 'type' and did very well with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. C. Aubrey Smith played the English gentleman perfectly, and isn't it fitting that he was eventually knighted. Life imitating art, imitating life.

      Delete