Friday, February 17, 2012

Designing a Presidential Candidate


On Sunday, July 13, 1980, Parade Magazine published the following interesting cover:

McAfee   |  Parade Magazine
The famous fashion designer (whose name is now lost to me), pieced together his image of a strong candidate, based on physical characteristics of these former U. S. presidents:


The ideal candidate would have James Monroe's hair (Monroe had an stunning widow's peak, and beautiful gray hair.), James Madison's nose and John F. Kennedy's smile. The candidate would also have Rutherford B. Hayes' brow and eyes (Hayes is shown here at a young age and before he entered politics.). To round out the image, the designer chose Herbert Hoover's jawline (at the age of 24). And to give the candidate a little personality and individualism, he included Harry Truman's bow tie (Truman was regarded as one of the best-dressed presidents.).

I thought the whole concept was very clever, but the more I thought about it, the more I was convinced that it was a very, very bad idea. When you piece people together like that, you're playing Dr. Frankenstein, and you know where that leads!

I procured a stack of presidential engravings and went to work creating my own candidate. I chose Franklin Pierce's hair (sexy, wind-blown), Lyndon B. Johnson's ears and jawline (masculine), Ulysses S. Grant's eyes (soulful), Jimmy Carter's smile (engaging) and Richard M. Nixon's tie (conservative). Oh, this should be lovely!


Mark D. Ruffner, 1980
.

18 comments:

  1. What that LBJ's nose as well? Anyway, he's got my vote for sure.
    --Road to Parnassus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Parnassus - You're partly right — I merged LBJ's nose with U. S. Grant's. (Now, there's something blog about!) I'm glad you like my "down-to-earth" candidate; I think he's trustworthy.

      Delete
  2. Dear Mark, I think that you have resurrected Pierre Salinger. Still, I'm not going to vote for your man. Clever and fun post. Gina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Gina - I think my candidate looks a little like the late Senator Edmund Muskie. I'm so sorry he doesn't get your vote. Perhaps if we find a beautiful running mate?

      Delete
  3. Dear Mark, you have a prestidigious talent with the computer - but that is one scary face - I would not like to meet him on a dark night?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to worry, Rosemary. He puts on his slippers and stays home at night, much to the dismay of his handlers.

      Delete
    2. Apologies Mark, for using both a wrongly spelt and incorrect word. Should read (skilful) - I was so busy trying to make out those awful - “please prove you're not a robot”, that I took my eye off what I had written.

      Delete
    3. I know what you mean — I'm beginning to think that a robot might have better luck deciphering those words than I!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks for entering this straw poll, Stefan. So far, he's got about a 50/50 chance.

      Delete
  5. Brilliant! The Parade cover looks like a guy we might know, but yours, well - let's just say I hope he doesn't run. He scares me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Alan - Actually, I'm thinking that the old Parade cover looks a little like Mitt Romney (with a different hair style). I was reading an interesting editorial not too long ago that said that while most candidates want to look presidential, Mitt Romney's challenge is the opposite - to appear more like the man on the street.

      Delete
  6. Hi Mark

    Your candidate's fragrance is probably old spice? Does he have a name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Linda - A great question! And since he is, after all, an amalgam, our candidate's name is Thomas Richard Harrison. That's the formal for every Tom, Dick and Harry.

      Delete
    2. That is so funny Mark. You are hilarious! Wish you were writing a daily humor column--then I could start off every day with a great laugh. Did you ever do stand up comedy??

      Delete
    3. I'm glad I could give you a laugh! Unfortunately, neither my face nor my mind is pliable enough to do stand up comedy. But my presidential montage did make its debut in the column of a wonderful Times humorist named Dick Bothwell. His column appeared every Monday morning under the title "B.U.M. (Brighten Up Monday)." He would have agreed with me that we all need to laugh at least 10 times a day, and not just on Mondays!

      Delete
  7. I think he looks like Martin Scorsese. Especially about the eyebrows.

    Dr. Frankenstein, you're being paged! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have known you'd compare him to a movie director! (But I do see what you mean about the eyebrows. :o)

      Delete