Monday, February 14, 2011

Early Valentines


Printed valentines became popular in the United States in the 1840s, and the early ones were engraved and hand painted. Today I'll be sharing seven cards from my collection that date from that early period. I've heard dealers refer to these cards, not as valentines, but as "sentiment cards."


If you were to see these cards in person, you would notice that the card stock is heavier and whiter than most other paper of the time, and has a gloss finish. That's because the 1840s saw advancements in papermaking which included the incorporation of white lead into the paper. The result was a luster not unlike fine china. Cards like these, and especially the first of the next three, are sometimes referred to as "porcelain cards."





.

8 comments:

  1. These are lovely, and help restore one's faith in such things on a day that has been unfortunately debased by the depressingly heavy hand of manufactured sentiment and mercantilism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MArk, I love the designs on these cards!Especially the last one! I am always learning something new here. I have read some interesting novels using St Valentines Day as a backdrop and one set at the turn of the century in Australia which I think you will enjoy. Get a copy or Google "Picnic at Hanging Rock"

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful! And interesting - as always!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reggie, "restoring one's faith" are the perfect words, for these cards all had spiritual overtones, didn't they?

    David, the book that I write will certainly feature a collector. I'll look for "Picnic at Hanging Rock."

    quintessence, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blog so much. Every time I come here I learn so much. Thank you. These valentines are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for visiting, Blayne! See Blayne's blog at This Photographer's Life, on my sidebar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The flat, unfolded format of these first greeting cards seems like a refreshing change. The artwork reminds me of designs on gravestones, samplers, textiles, and especially Staffordshire transferware ceramics of the period.

    I am always looking for antique and vintage greeting cards, unused ones, and send them for special holidays. They have charm, warmth, and a certain innocence.

    I think you enjoy combing antique markets as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The people who receive your cards are certainly lucky people! I do indeed enjoy finding antique paper, though I am discovering more success these days by going to more specialized venues, like book fairs.

    ReplyDelete