Thursday, November 17, 2011

Jackson Square, New Orleans

© Mark D. Ruffner, 2011
I'll start with the obligatory statue of Andrew Jackson, hero of the Battle of New Orleans, and the second military hero to be elected President. The statue by sculptor Clark Mills was cast several times and is identical to ones found at the Tennessee State Capitol in Nashville; in Jacksonville, Florida; and in Washington, D.C, across from the White House. As equestrian statues go, this one is unusual in that it rests on two points. More often such rearing horses rest on three points, employing the tail for extra support.

Britannica.com
 The same statue in Washington, D. C.


The St. Louis Cathedral dominates the square. It was founded as a parish in 1720 and is the oldest cathedral in the United States. Flags inside attest to New Orleans' history under Spanish, French and English occupation.


The interior of the cathedral is a rich monochrome, with colorful and beautifully painted vignettes from the life of Christ. St. Louis is featured in the stained glass.



I'm always searching for the details that others may overlook. The finials on the fence that surrounds Jackson Square appear as stylized fleurs-de-lis, interspersed with the Greek palmette decoration. I'd love to have a portion of this fence at my house, otherwise I'd be glad to just incorporate the Greek design. I'm not too picky.
.

14 comments:

  1. Hello Mark:
    You do, in fact, always have a very good eye for detail, frequently overlooked by others, which makes your posts, as this one, of such interest. We were most intrigued with what you say about the equestrian statue resting on two points only, rather than the more usual three for a pose of this kind. A keen observation.

    The cathedral looks to be magnificent, in the way of cathedrals - which we love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Jane and Lance: When one looks at that statue — its size, weight and spread — it's really quite a masterful balancing act! Thanks for the kind words of encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've enjoyed your trip, haven't been there in 35 years!It's full of atmosphere, isn't it? The gingerbread post was especially fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Harnett Kane in Queen New Orleans tells an amusing (and probably apocryphal) story about Jackson's equestrian statue, that Mills was ridiculed as ignorant for insisting on this impossible pose. Nevertheless, the founder of the park, the Baroness Micaela de Pontalba, quite a character in her own right, insisted on the Mills statue.

    I love the wonderful cast iron fence (as I do almost anything made of cast iron), but cannot help noticing the split under the palmette. In Northern winters, this fence would be reduce to scrap metal in no time.
    --Road to Parnassus

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, Paul - Yes, the atmosphere is in every direction one turns. I'm glad you're vicariously enjoying revisiting — I'll fill out the rest of the month with my first trip to New Orleans.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Parnassus - Palmette! Now I know the proper word for the design I've always admired! Thank you!

    A little later, I'll be featuring the Pontalba Buildings. Your mention of "Queen New Orleans" makes me want to know more and read the book. While I was in Jackson Square, I heard someone say that the Jackson Statue is the only two-point equestrian statue in the world, but I find that hard to believe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these kinds of posts! The iron fence reminds me of the work of Philip Simmons in Charleston, SC. THere are tours of just his incredible iron work in the city.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Theresa - Thanks for mentioning Philip Simmons. I hadn't been aware of him and just finished reading all about his life in one of the several sites devoted to him. I really appreciate this sort of sharing that blogging inspires!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mark, I too also search for details that others may overlook. It is sometimes these small finds that complete something for me! Quite interesting that there are several copies of the statue in various locations. For years as a teenager I thought that there was only one each of Rodin's work, only to find that there are copies in different locales!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, David - The funny thing is that I've looked at photographs of the Jackson statues in New Orleans and Washington for years and it never occurred to me that they were the very same design. So much for details!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Mark, Looking forward to the next installment...no one presents it better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Mark - I love your stained glass window photo of St. Louis - my stained glass windows are never very successful.
    An equestrian statue resting on two points is much more dramatic. The one I am reminded of is the Greek equestrian bronze of the boy riding a horse known as the Artemision Horse and Jockey.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello, Rosemary - I'm familiar with that statue, but always wondered whether there was some as yet undiscovered third support. Its current display makes it appear as though it were taken from a carousel. I would have given it a clear lucite support, but no one consulted me!

    ReplyDelete