Monday, September 22, 2014

Pompeii No.29: The Sacred Offering

PhotoShop illustration, Mark D. Ruffner
I decided to place peonies in the tripod basket that I revealed last week. In the symbolism of flowers, the peony has many meanings, and one is success. I'm using a symbol that can encompass many aspects of good luck!

I'm taking some liberties here because the Pompeians probably never knew the peony; it was actually introduced to Europe from Asia at a much later date. (The artwork that I've used as a header comes from a 1663 engraving by Wencelas Hollar.)

Using real peonies for reference posed a problem for me because peonies don't grow in the Florida climate. Nonetheless, I had a dozen peony buds shipped to me at quite an expense. Because the buds were opening at different rates, I was concerned that I wouldn't get an optimum arrangement, and that the investment might become a waste.

So I hit upon the idea of setting up a table with a white background, and setting up a photographer's light on a tripod. The jug that you see above, the light, and the camera setting would not be changed a fraction until the end of the project.


Then I took each individual flower and set it in the jug, photographing it from multiple angles. The next day, as each flower opened a little more, I'd start the process all over again. Above you see two flowers that have been photographed in that manner. By the end of the week, I had a digital library of hundreds of flowers — all with the same light source — that could be digitally put together in endless flower arrangements.

Here you see the mural arrangement I came up with as it appears in PhotoShop. It has 18 layers, including the white background. Each flower is on a seperate layer so that it can be adjusted just as it would if one were arranging actual flowers.

click to enlarge

click to enlarge
If you've been following along with this Pompeian home project, you may have noticed that I enjoy symbolism, and that I've now imbued the mural with many signs of good luck. Below are a few:


click to enlarge
In this final photograph, you can see that I painted the peonies in shades of lavender to complement the bases upon which the muses stand.

I will be adding elements between the muses and the garlands, but in order to do that in a logical way, I'll need to first direct your attention to another wall. I hope you'll join me in the next posting as I shift gears and work on what I call the transom!
.

18 comments:

  1. Hello Mark, Your Pompeian room is a true labor of love, and you never cease to amaze us with you clever ideas and preparation. I am fascinated by the way you borrow elements from other places and time periods, but never in a jarring way.

    The peonies contribute a pleasant Eastern aspect, one which of course is constantly found in Chinese art. The green leaves overhanging the tripod especially add a fresh, vital touch, reminding us that these accouterments of antiquity were not static museum pieces, but part of daily life.
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Jim,

      Your comment about the Eastern aspect and overhanging leaves made me re-view the peony arrangement, and it occurs to me that it has somewhat the feel of the Thai offerings of fruit and flowers. Perhaps I was subconsciously thinking more along Eastern lines . . .

      Delete
  2. Peonies! They are my favorite flower. Your photoshop skills allowed you to really get this right. I eagerly await the transom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Theresa,

      You know, it never occurred to me to use a more local, tropical flower, all because I wanted to paint the symbol of success!

      Delete
  3. your work in photoshop is already an art form -great idea! I hope you got to enjoy them as well -such lovely scented flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Stefan,

      I did indeed get to enjoy the peonies — in a proper vaxse — and I was glad that they lasted longer than the roses I've occassionally bought.

      Delete
  4. Mark, peonies are a favorite flower of mine. I am amazed at the amount of work involved in this photoshoot! The symbols of good luck in the Pompei mural are wonderful and I am very excited to see the finished piece!

    xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Karena,

      The photoshoot lasted over several days, but actually took about half an hour per day in the shooting. The real work was in outlining the individual flowers later in PhotoShop, though I found that an enjoyable process.

      Delete
  5. Hi, Mark - Such a pretty addition. The lavender tones look so fresh and ethereal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Loi,

      I initially started painting the flowers in their original rose tones, but quickly realized that they would complement the mural better as lavender.

      Delete
  6. Dear Mark - whatever the symbolic meaning of the peony you could not have chosen a better flower as far as I am concerned - after all, I have a space in our garden devoted to the peony - whites, yellows, pinks and reds, but sadly no lavender.
    What an interesting journey you made to get the flowers exactly right - they are a 'tour de force' in other words a great 'success'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rosemary,

      It's a shame that the peony does not do well in Florida. It makes such a beautiful presentation in every stage of its fullness, and I liked that it lasted as a cutting. I'll be looking for photographs of your own peonies — I'm guessing that the section you described is a centerpiece of the garden, at least in blooming time.

      Delete
  7. Dear Mark,
    Not only are you a fabulous painter/illustrator/draftsman, now you are also a floral designer. The peonies are arranged beautifully with a lot of thought to the placement of each leaf and each flower.

    The Mormon Pioneers planted Peonies in their gardens. They are a very long lasting flower and plant. Some of these original Peonies are still blooming in our area every Spring.
    I don't know if lavender Peonies exist. No matter, they are perfect in your fine composition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Gina,

      Maybe I'll be a florist in my next incarnation. My mother made ikebana arrangements, and I came to appreciate that less is often more (though not with Pompeian walls!!). There are indeed lavender and dark purple peonies and you can access many images of them on Google Images. Just type in "purple peonies."

      Delete
  8. Peonies are my favorite flower as well, Mark. Great choice. I love that you give careful thought to the symbolism and meaning of all your choices. That is what gives your mural its unique feeling, not to mention, its particular style.

    It's 'you' going up there on those walls, Mark. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Yvette,

      While the format for the Pompeii Room was very carefully layed out from the beginning, the choices for all the elements have been decisions made along the way. That is not how a professional muralist would work, of course, but then I have had the luxury of working at a slower pace than any commercial project. And so all those decisions have actually been made with more deliberation than would happen otherwise because everything has been reconsidered with every step.

      Delete
  9. Oh Mark! What an amazing project this is!!!! As you know, I've been away from the blogosphere for a bit, and I just treated myself to a Ruffnerian binge, reading posts 1-29 in order, of course!.... I'm so impressed with your talent and the depth of your study into each element of this glorious project. Very inspiring... It's not only a beautiful mural, but serves as a wonderful example of the very best way for a human being to spend time, passionately engaged in creative endeavor and study. Think of all the time people waste on reality tv or the like... The world would surely be a better place if we all dove into projects inspired by yours! Bravo Mark!!!!
    With thanks and warm regards,
    Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Erika,

      It's interesting that you speak of this project in comparison to watching a reality TV show. In fact, I have not owned a TV for years and for the most part have not missed it. The average American spends approximately 1,768 hours per year watching TV, and while we all need entertainment, I think that so much of TV is the consumption of time with nothing to show for it.

      And I know that you have creative passions which bring a lot of beauty into other lives!

      Best wishes,

      Mark

      Delete