Friday, May 29, 2015

Friday's Answer

Gina of Ginaceramics and Jim of Road to Parnassus got it correct, and Rosemary of Where Five Valleys Meet got it exactly correct. (And I need to devise a more difficult quiz for you smarties!)

The purpose of the hole was for inserting a knotted rope. The cradle would be next to the parents' bed, and when the baby started crying at night, the mother could tug on the rope and rock the cradle without having to get out of bed.

With tomorrow's posting, I'll be resuming
the progress of the Pompeii Room.
.

8 comments:

  1. Dear Mark, That was only a guess. But now I'm in good company. Have a great weekend. Looking forward to seeing the progress of the Pempeii Room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really fascinating, I had not heard of that nice little innovation! Congrats to the winners who got it right!

    Xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Karena,

      It is a simple innovation, but it was one of many in that time that were increasingly inventive. According to Jack Larkin, who wrote "The Reshaping of Everyday Life, 1790-1840," the leap in the quality of life between those dates was no less profound than the changes in the first half of the 20th century.

      Delete
  3. Hello Mark, Like Gina's, mine was just a lucky guess. Now that I am taking a closer look at the cradle, I really admire its aged patina, with its cracks, worn paint, etc. I often think that wood is my favorite material for 3-dimensional antiques.
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Jim,

      I agree with you — I have an entire shelf of my living room bookcase completely filled with antique wooden boxes, and it creates a wonderful texture.

      Delete
  4. Dear Mark - I suspected that Gina and Jim might have answered correctly too. As regards myself it was simply some lateral thinking on my part - I am always open to quick and easy ways of accomplishing objectives, it makes life so much easier don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am indeed open to making life easier and . . . simpler!

      Delete